Time to Add Shrubs to Your Landscape!
Shrubs add many benefits to your home landscape. They can provide shade, enhance air quality, improve soil stability, and create wildlife habitats for all types of creatures. Also, shrubs add an element of beauty to the yard, especially seasonal varieties that add color and texture year-round.
Before adding shrubs to your yard, it’s wise to read about the benefits different shrubs can offer to help you choose the variety and height that best fits your outdoor space both functionally and aesthetically.
4 Top Benefits of Shrubs:
Take a look at your outdoor space. Are there areas where you want to block your view of the neighbors, or a neighboring business? Do you have seating areas in which you want to create a peaceful and private atmosphere to enjoy your morning coffee or yoga? Shrubs are great for this purpose.
- Curb Appeal and Property Value
Did you know that houses with established landscapes appreciate in value 5 to 20 percent more than un-landscaped houses? Not only can shrubs increase property value, but they will also add a wow factor when potential buyers or visitors arrive at your home.
Spiny trees and shrubs have been used for hundreds of years to create defensive barriers. Work with your landscape designer to locate shrubs strategically if this is your goal, as well as to choose the right type for the job. Once mature, well-chosen shrubs can present formidable entry barriers to your yard!
- Attracting Wildlife
Shrubs are great places for wildlife nesting, feeding, shelter from the elements, and hiding from predators. Flowering shrubs also can feed and attract birds, butterflies, and bees.
When selecting the shrubs for your front yard, the experts at Cornerstone Landscaping consider the above as well as the overall look and style of your outdoor space. We have a large variety of shrubs you can choose from, but we have a few go-to shrubs I will talk about that are low-maintenance and grow well in the North Mississippi area. Read on to learn about some terrific shrub choices for your yard.
Top Shrubs for Mississippi Yards
- Azalea ‘fashion’: Termed a “fashion azalea”, this evergreen shrub has brilliant, fiery blossoms.
- Oak Leaf Hydrangea: Oakleaf hydrangeas (Hydrangea quercifolia) bloom in spring and early summer. They are attractive all year long, and are native to the southeastern part of the country.
- Dwarf Camellia: The Dwarf Camellia will produce large quantities of 2-3″ wide pink double flowers. It has an extended blooming season, beginning in October and lasting well into December.
- Itea ‘little henry‘: This attractive shrub has both attractive foliage and beautiful, fragrant, drooping bottle brush blooms that appear in the spring. The Itea creates a dazzling display in your yard with little work required from the gardener.
- Dwarf Limelight Hydrangea: This magical shrub features hydrangea bloom colors that are ever-changing based on the acidic levels in the soil
As you can see, shrubs add fullness and dimension to your landscaping that complements existing plants and blends different landscape elements together.
If you are considering different shrub options for your landscape, let the experienced design team at Cornerstone Landscaping help plan and install a landscape that creates the beautiful outdoor space you are looking for. Call us today for a free estimate.